Monday, May 17, 2010

Thing 6: Chat

Hmmm, I thought I had posted this last week, but it doesn't appear to be here...

Chat - starting at the end of the reading and working backward. I set up the Questionpoint Qwidget for the VCCS libraries, so I'm quite familiar with it. We've put it on our webpage, as has TCC and it seems to have been incorporated into the Live Reference queues without much problem.

Chat boxes seem to be popping up everywhere these days. I've used this method several times when troubleshooting computer issues (mostly at home), or when looking for information on wireless plans and the like. I've also use IM services for meetings on a couple occasions, seemed to work like a conference call with the added benefit of being able to copy and paste the entire conversation for use later as notes.

However, I don't particularly like having chat constantly active whenever I'm online. I don't like the assumption that just because I'm online I'm available for (or even interested in) conversation. When I am online and a chat window pops up I feel that it would be rude not to respond and because of that I disabled the IM clients that I used for the aforementioned online meetings. I'm trying to figure out how to disable chat in facebook but have had no luck so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment