Monday, April 19, 2010

Thing 4: Social Networking

In the NYTimes article How Privacy Vanishes Online Jon Klingberg is quoted giving the following advice "When you’re doing stuff online, you should behave as if you’re doing it in public — because increasingly, it is.” I realized that quite some time ago, just dealing with email. Once you've sent a message to someone you have no control over to whom or how many times it is forwarded. We had some ugly situations arise here on my campus with email jokes that were sent to friends but then forwarded to entire contact lists, resulting in complaints about misuse of state computers, reprimands, and dismissals (as I said, it was ugly).

That potentiality has only gotten worse with the rise of social network sites, listserves, blogs, etc. I approach use of these sites with the attitude that anything I post (writing or photos) can potentially be seen by anyone in the world, forever.

That said, I do use social networking sites, facebook in particular, and I enjoy them. I use them more for social and family activites than for work, but the college has a presence on both facebook and twitter, and we are looking into creating a facebook for the library as well.

Several of my collegues are also my facebook friends and this reminds me of the idea I posted a few days ago, that the use of the internet and social networking in particular is blurring the lines between work, home, and study.

No comments:

Post a Comment